1 week to go...this time I am not coming home until the surgery is done! ha ha! Surgery is slated for 12:15pm October 8Th unless I get bumped.
Still on the tail end of this cold/flu but otherwise have been going to bed by 8:30 pm???!!! Good thing because the last thing I want to be is run down. I have been managing the pain a lot better since the heatwave has ended. Have been off the Tylenol #3 for 4 weeks now and just started taking extra strength Tylenol this week. The only thing I am NOT looking forward to is the IV needle UGH! My veins are small and it usually takes them 3 tries and afterwards I look like I was in a battlefield! I don't mind the needle part, if it goes in the first try!
I will miss my oldest grandson's 2ND birthday, but we have our weekly sleepovers so I am very grateful for that! My youngest grandson turned 1 Sept 21st, and I missed that party too...only because I couldn't risk being around a bunch of people/kids who MIGHT sneeze etc!
Life can only get better from here! Oh how I am looking forward to being pain free! I lay in bed remembering what that is going to feel like...when I wake up from surgery going AAAAHHHHHH! Walking! What is that going to be like again ha ha! I went for a good 1/2 hour walk 2 weeks ago when I was actually having low pain...I remember how my face felt as I was out there. The feeling of freedom, fresh air and relaxation! I could feel my expression turning into a huge smile just like before all of this when I was walking everyday!! Oh how I will have all of that very soon! Isn't life grand?! All those little things we take for granted...
I am leaving early Oct 3rd and hope to be home around the 19Th. I wont have any access to computer until I am out of hospital but will do my best to keep everyone posted. Turkey dinner in a hospital? As long as I don't have to cook it ha ha!'
Thanks for checking in!
See you after surgery:)
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment