Wednesday today...noon and still lounging around in my pajamas! Watching the tv and relaxing as much as I can. Drinking lots of water to make the IV needle easier to put in...means lots of washroom breaks too!!
This gypsying around has actually been quite nice. I have had a chance to visit a part of my family and learn about my real father. We laughed, cried, hugged and shared photos and memories. I spent last night at my best girlfriend's house and tonight another friend will take me to their parents home and the parents will be with me before and after the surgery. They have been amazing to me...when I had my hip scoping done in March they were there for me as well! I am very fortunate to have all this help while out of town.
Picked up my red cross equipment yesterday for here while I am away from my own home...wouldn't you know it, forgot the toilet riser haha! Oh the things one needs to remember and pickup! Lists are good! I called Red Cross this morning and we will pick that up!
It is a beautiful clear blue sunny day here today. I hope all of you reading this are enjoying a nice fall day too. This will be MY last post until I am out of the hospital now but I am hoping my friends will post an update after surgery for you!
Have an awesome day everyone, keep smiling and enjoy this sunshine!
Huggs,
Dawn
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment