DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

At ease this time around...

3 weeks to go now and I am fighting off the flu/cold. Better I get this all now so there are no more delays! There are so many people sick with it, migraines, cramps etc. Always something!

I am alot more at ease with plans this time around...I know things will all fall into place as they always do. I have been back at the pool doing my therapy since returning home in August and it is the best place for me! The cooler weather (well until this past 4 days ha ha!) has sure been a blessing in disguise too as my pain has gone down alot, not gone just eased up.

I think I have my head around all of this now too so I am more prepared mentally? Having spoken to some people while at the workshop in Vancouver for joint replacements life is going to be good when I am all done! I was also inspired when I was watching our Ironman race on TV. A lady about my age came across the finish line, she had suffered with osteoporosis most of her life and has had both hips replaced. She has done 6 half-irons and now this was her first Ironman! Then there is the Sister who is 79 and has done I think they said 20? Ironman races!!! Not that I plan on doing marathons but it is going to be better than I first anticipated!

So aside from everyday life, I am hanging in there! There is always someone worse off than me, so that helps to keep my pity parties down...besides, I am usually the only one who attends?!

Enjoy this beautiful weather, soak up the sun and keep smiling!

No comments: