Wow where did the week go?! It is good to be resting comfortably at home. I am surprised at how different things are for me this time around after surgery! I mean this in a good way...the meds are better, not so groggy, wandering around the apartment without crutches and as much weight as my leg will tolerate. Carrying things is still really the only bump I have so far but it is really just that cup of tea or my meal...I can manage it from counter to table easily.
Tuesday I went to Dr. and had the staples removed and meds renewed. She said everything looks fabulous, incision showed no signs of infection and has a nice clean line to it.
Thursday was my first physiotherapy appointment which also went off without a hitch. My therapist was impressed at how much my ROM (range of motion) had increased in only 2 weeks since surgery! Of course there is a long way to go yet as most of the initial healing is the soft tissues as they rejuvenate themselves and start to attach to the prosthesis. My muscles are in excellent shape she said, nice and strong which helps with recovery. She did the deep tissue massage/ penetration with the ITM (I think that's what it is called?) machine, for inflammation and that is always my favorite! In fact I usually have a great sleep afterwards as muscles and tissue are more relaxed. After measuring my legs, my operated leg is about 1 cm longer than the other, but should go down to .5cm within the next 2 weeks and then gradually even out. The muscles will relax more once they get comfortable in exercise etc.
Every day is like a gift! So much to look forward to now, in fact it is hard to remember what the pain felt like prior to surgery other than the fact it was very painful, frustrating and uncomfortable!
So for now it is exercises at home, until my next visit in 2 weeks when I will likely start the stationary bike and perhaps add some light weights to my workout.
Glad to be pain free! (well...other than the healing pain !)
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Friday, October 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment