This morning I got up with good intentions of getting to the pool now that insurance has paid for a 1 month pass.
Pool was nice and warm, timing was good but I will go before 9am as there are also other classes there with a physiotherapist twice/week. Although the pool is relaxing and less weight bearing on my joints, the gym pass would be a lot more beneficial. I did 20 minutes of pool exercises and then the hot tub for a few minutes.
After returning home, I had to return a call to the Rehab consultant. THAT was an interesting call! She said I have good news! I said great, insurance will pay for it?! She said pay for what? I said the 3 month gym pass I asked for in November last year? She said oh I don't know. I said whats the good news then? She said the OT said I could return to work tomorrow, but that I need to give work 3 weeks notice, so I could be to work by end of February! Ha! I don't remember having that conversation with my OT? I know work wants 1 months notice (that's what they told me) and the OT said they said 3 weeks. OT asked me if I felt I could still go to the gym when I return to work? I said yes, but on a maintenance of 3 days/ week because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it all. What I didn't know was that she may have meant if I were to return to work in 3 weeks" ??
So, I have a call into the OT as I know I am not ready to go in 3 weeks. Something in my hip is not feeling right since my fall in December. I called the specialists office here in town to get their take on some xrays. Receptionists said good plan, that way we can arrange for you to see the specialist at the same time and see what is going on. At least if it is nothing within the joint it is piece of mind. We can rule that out and chalk it up to weak muscles and get into some good gym exercises. I see the family doc Monday Feb 8 and get her to order xrays, go from there.
Good grief though wow! Will be nice to get that sorted out!
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment