DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Monday, February 15, 2010

Re-cap of last week - Dr. Appointment

Hi and I hope everyone had a very Happy Valentine's Day!

I meant to post last week and time slipped away from me.

I had a Dr.'s appointment Feb 8th just to follow up as OT had asked me to. My Dr had been on holidays and hadn't had a chance to look over the reports that were supposedly sent there from OT and possibly PT. She did give me a requisition for Xrays though just as a follow up to my fall on the stairs in December. Sometimes when I am full weight bearing on this leg (the right) things don't feel quite right. Almost like a grabbing or a slight sharpness? It is brief and not really pain full, but I want to make sure everything is okay. Once I have the Xrays on Feb 22nd, I will have a quick peek at them with the local ortho specialist, no date as yet.

The Re-hab consultant had asked for a report from me after visiting my doctor, however she was disappointed that I wasn't able to give her the answers she was looking for? I told her I didn't feel ready to return in 3 weeks and want to make sure I am 100% before heading back. Being as how I can not return on a part time basis, I need to be positive I can jump all in full time, she doesn't seem to hear me? She was going to try and contact my Dr to see if she has had a chance to look over the report by the end of last week, but my Dr hadn't gotten back to her. The rehab lady asked when the office thought my Dr might be able to have a look at them and they told her a week or two. Everything takes time, just like healing properly. In fact when I mentioned to this lady that I didn't feel quite ready she asked me what she was missing and if there was something I wasn't telling her?? I guess I should have said, "what you are missing is that you aren't hearing me when I say things aren't quite right yet." My doctor has the final say at this point so hopefully we can get the xrays done, see the specialist, get some more therapy in at the pool and add more walks. So from this date it is still at least 4 weeks away from starting work? Rehab consultant left a message last Friday that she would call me when she hears from the Doctor, unless I wanted to call her in the meantime? Hmmm...I wont have anything to report to her when it is the doc she is waiting on!

So that is the latest...I have started taking a multi vitamin B & C to help boost the immune system a bit and hopefully give me a little more energy. I am still tiring by the afternoon, could it be all the early mornings my body seems to want to do?!

No comments: