DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Restless Emotions & frusterations

Ever have days when the mind goes crazy? Well that seems to happen in the middle of the night here and there, more so when the pain hits or from the cabin fever!

Yesterday was one of those days where I just got in the car and went for a drive with the music loud! Somehow I needed an avenue to escape the boredom of being "stuck" at home. Thursday I went for a short drive to see how it felt, and it was ok. Friday I had the car all day and did some shopping/ browsing at stores you just can' t get to when you have to rely on a friend, more so because you don't want to inconvenience them. However, thinking I was strong enough, I only went with my cane. It was too much weight on the hip with just the cane for shopping, and I spent the afternoon laying down with ice, lesson learned! So yesterday I took my crutches, let those restless emotions out of my head and sang to some old rock while driving! Then ventured into Walmart with a friend, she is an awesome help as she took the cart and I "hopped" / walked along side her. We take so much for granted and especially our freedom.

When we look at others things seem fine on the outside, we don't get to see or understand their insides while they struggle or are sidelined. But just the same it is hard to describe why this happens or how it feels. The best way for me is to just go and drive, with music! But when you can't drive then we have to find other ways, maybe its just fresh air and sunshine, going for a coffee, your favorite store or even just some company.

But within we have our spirit and it gives us the strength to move on...I always say, "things could be so much worse, but they are not". This and learning to have patience gets me through those moments of restlessness. After all, this is only temporary!

No comments: