Well, here it is, 9 days post-op already! Things are going pretty good so far. Saw my family doctor Wednesday and asked if I could get back onto my "other" meds now because the narcotics were making me so noxious. She made a note of the Oxycodone and its side affects with me and I am now back on my extra strength Tylenol and Amitriptyline 20 mg. I LOVED that I had no pain for the first 2 days just not the side affects! Now that all of that has worn off I am feeling the discomfort from my leg being in traction. Nothing major but I know there is pain there now! I am still on crutches and cant sit for too long, keeping the leg stretched out seems to be more comfortable, so I have 2 good books on the go needless to say! (Not really much of a reader here haha!)
I will start Physiotherapy on Monday, not sure how often yet but expect a lot of the exercises to be done at home as it was with my first hip. I have been trying to ice twice a day,especially afternoon and evening. I have also noticed I am sleeping more in the daytime and not so much at night? Just my body trying to get back on track I am sure!
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment