DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summer Playtime!

Wow! Can you believe it has already been 9.5 mos since my hip replacement, 3.5 months since I have returned to work and a full on summer of playtime!

Returning to work has been good, no problems to report of. I am cautious on the steeper stairs of course but otherwise good to be back in a routine again.

Summer...who'd have thought that I would be running through the water parks and playing at the beach with my grandchildren? This time last year I was definitely NOT doing any of this! I am so thankful to have my life back and to be enjoying all those little moments in life. Even stopping to smell the roses along the way.

I have run into many people who are waiting for surgery and they cant believe I have even had any surgeries! I said you CAN have your life back, or most of it. I wouldn't change a thing in my life as far as this part goes, especially when I consider the 2 years/ hip I lost to the pain/surgeries/recovery! Life is good again!

I thought I had better finally update everyone on my progress since it has been April when I last wrote :) I am doing most things in life and some I haven't tried as the opportunity hasn't arisen. Sure I still get some stiffness (especially with drastic barometric pressure changes!) and finding I have muscles I didn't know existed (running with grand kids brings this out haha!) let me know. Otherwise, I am pretty much back into the swing of life again which feels wonderful.

So to anyone who may be contemplating surgery or knows someone who is, I am an example that yes, you can take back your life. Keep a good attitude, do your homework and most importantly, do your physio! Especially your home exercises! It's so true what they say, "if you don't use it you lose it"!

Thanks for following :) Have an awesome summer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn!!! I just saw the link on your msn, so I hurried over here to read your latest news. Wow! Back at work!!! Yay!!! :) Hard to believe so much time has passed. My computer died on me, so I didn't have this link. Didn't think until tonight to link up through your msn messenger thingy. Duh me!!! Now I have it in my favorites again. :)

I'm so glad to hear that things are going so well for you. :) I love that you have music on your blog. I had to sit and listen for awhile.

I'm gearing up to go out of town. I leave a week from tomorrow. Won't get back until the 16th. It will be nice. I'm going to visit friends in Pennsylvania and dog-sit for them while they go on vacation. I'm already trying to figure out what to pack to take on the train. :)

Glad to hear things are going well with you. I hope that continues to be the case. Kudos to you and your work! Thanks for keeping this blog! We keep missing each other on msn. You are on now, but I'm getting ready to sign off. Oh well. That happens sometimes. You know, I still know how to play cribbage, but haven't played anything on pogo for about a year now.

Type atcha later! xoxoxo

Kristine