DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Start date for work

Well, it's official, I received my start date for returning to work. April 5th, 9am and I need to pick up a manual? We never had a manual when I started but with all the restructuring and changes in management as well as computer programs maybe this is why. I will find out more tomorrow morning and then pick it up on Monday.

How do I feel about this many ask...I am excited to return to the workforce, I love the job I do and serving the customers is what I have done all my life. Am I excited about all of the politics and cliques, no. As I may have mentioned before, the morale is going to be much different from when I left because of how much the economy has changed. People aren't buying cars like they used to, at least not new ones.

I have 3 weeks to get my life in order now and get into a routine This is all good and I have started my morning walks bright and early and with the time changing this weekend an evening walk will be great too! We have had some nice sunny weather, a teaser for Spring but winter has reminded us that it is not over yet!

Back to the grind soon! Back into life :)

No comments: