It has been exactly 2 weeks today since the rehab consultant was here. She called me to let me know the following :
~ Insurance has agreed to pay for a 1 month pass to the pool at the nearby hotel/fitness center. However, I must still wait for the paperwork to go through and reach the fitness center so that they may bill my insurance directly. This could take a couple of weeks or??
~ Rehab consult has called my employer, I still have a job with them!! That is the biggest relief because one just never knows when you have been off for an extended period of time. Also because of all the restructuring due to the economy last year, maybe staff got shifted around.
~ Insurance company has given their approval for a workplace assessment with an Occupational therapist. She will be in touch with me and then we will go to my workplace, assess my work station and do an ergonomics consult. I am sure we will have to make some adjustments with the filing and maybe a new chair with arms (a heated massage chair would be nice but I better not push it hey?! haha!). Once she has made her recommendations, we are hoping I will get a Gym pass as well at the fitness center to help strengthen the muscles.
So, little baby steps...it will likely be a week or 2 to hear from the OT, then another 2+ weeks to hear back from insurance about the gym pass etc. So, I will patiently wait and hope it isn't another 6 weeks of nothing! By the time the pool pass is ready for me, it will be just over 2 months of waiting doing nothing! Wow!
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow. Hurry up and wait!!! That's ridiculous!!! I'm glad that you still have a job! Phew!!!
Good luck getting to the pool!!! xoxoxo
Kristine
Post a Comment