DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA

I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.

HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.

Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.

For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Next step - Gym & pool exercises

Wow here it is 7 weeks post op! Well in 2 days it will be !

I finished physio yesterday and unless I have any issues or pain, I don't need to go back for another month, and only if I feel it is necessary. The final appointment will be once I am strong enough to return to work then she will check things out. So for now, a few new home exercises (tried them out with her and man the muscles sure burned! All good though as it means the body is working well and getting stronger!) and I can do pool therapy every other day and the gym only twice/week to start. Slowly things will increase as the body strengthens. It will be at least the 6 month mark before I can actually "swim" kick though...So for now I will start walking a block a day and go up the stairs once /day and increase little by little. It is easy to feel good when out walking, but then you have to remember, "I have to get all the way back home yet!". I am looking forward to the strengthening and endurance training now!

My operated leg is still a bit shorter so for now until the muscles all get back in place etc I have a small heel lift in my shoe, .5cm. Yeay for freedom and fresh air now!! Boy who would have thought this when I was still in all that pain! What an awesome miracle!

Its only 1 month until Christmas eve too!!! Where have the last 2 months gone?!

Happy shopping everyone! Thanks for dropping by!

No comments: