WOW! Here it is surgery time already! I am looking forward to being pain free, but a little unsure of what to expect with my new hip....
It will be a new journey for me, adjusting to some slight restrictions afterwards. Nothing past 90 degrees, no twisting and no leg/feet crossing. I have run out of steam now and am just making the final arrangements for my trip. Spent a few hours at the beach today for the first time all summer, it was so nice to get back in the water! As fate would have it, a girlfriend has moved back to town and needed a place to stay until she gets a job and her own place. She will stay here with me and help me after surgery, so it works for both of us! God is good, He always knows just what we need and provides us with it!
We will be having a "family dinner"on Monday, nice to have my kids and the grandkids over as it will be some time before I can do that kind of work!
I will be doing my pre- admin at VGH on Monday Aug 10th in the am and them off to UBC Hospital for 1pm to attend a 2 hr workshop. There they will tell us what to expect for the surgery and teach us safety at home as well as how to live with our new hip. I should be released Fri or Sat and flying home approx Aug 17th.
Keep watching and praying! Will be updating as I can!
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Saturday, August 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment