It has been 11 months now since the pain started in my right hip. I have been managing on just an anti-inflammatory called "Meloxicam" along with extra strength tylenol. I have been taking 15 mg of the Meloxicam. As time progresses, the pain is getting worse as is the stiffness and restlessness.
I have seen my doctor and asked about other medications now. As much as I don't like taking pills, she reminded me that trying to "tough it out" isn't going to do me or my body any good especially before major surgery. It takes the pain tolerance level down which is not good for pending surgery. She has now put me on a low dose of "Amitriptyline", a mild anti-depressant often used in chronic pain management. It is not addictive, and common side affects in the low doses include drowsniess, constipation and dry mouth.
How It Works
Antidepressants increase the levels of certain brain chemicals that improve mood and regulate pain signals. Low doses of antidepressants also relieve pain, although it is not known exactly how.
Why It Is Used
These medicines are often used in lower doses when they are used to treat chronic pain than when they are used to treat depression. In low doses, these medicines relieve pain. In higher doses, they have antidepressant effects.
These medicines are reserved for long-term (chronic) pain syndromes. They may be more effective if you also have depression or chronic pain caused by nerve problems such as shingles or diabetic neuropathy. They may help relieve sleeping problems and fatigue caused by chronic pain. Your doctor may prescribe antidepressants for use at bedtime because they can cause drowsiness.
DIAGNOSIS - HIP DYSPLASIA
I decided to start this Blog as a way of sharing and educating others as well as keeping my friends and family updated on my progress.In the Spring of my 37th year, I started having severe groin pain which eventually deferred into my left knee. There were days when I could barely walk 1/2 a block with a cane. Simple daily chores and personal care became very difficult to perform. I had xrays and a CT scan where we discovered that I have Hip Dysplasia. I tried pain medication while waiting to see an orthopedic surgeon locally. After my visits to the surgeon, he referred me to another orthopedic surgeon for an Osteotomy. These were only performed in Vancouver or Calgary in Canada. I chose Vancouver for a matter of convenience and so that my family could visit easier.I have an awesome surgeon who performed the Osteotomy on my left hip. Preparation for this surgery involved xrays, and trips to Vancouver for workshops, working with physiotherapists, the surgical team, several nurses and the anestheisiologist. The outcome has been phenomenal! I got my life back and the pain is gone! I will, however, require hip replacement surgery on this hip further down the road. My right hip will need surgery also.
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
HIP DYSPLASIA: an abnormal condition affecting the hip socket, or acetablum and the thighbone or femur. In someone with hip dysplasia, the hip socket is too shallow, or the femur is in the wrong place. Hip dysplasia can exist from birth or can develop within the first few weeks, years or later in life. 80% of people with DDH (developmental dysplasia of the hip) are females.
Depending on the severity of the situation, this can result in pain, osteoarthritis, difficulty walking or inability to walk. It can also contribute to a marked deterioration in a person's basic quality of life.
For more information, check out this link http://health.howstuffworks.com/hip-dysplasia.htm
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment